Thursday, May 17, 2012

Spending Wisely

Reading a good book lately about stories...really its about life-narratives essentially...and with Maya set to leave within the week, been thinking a lot. Loads of people tell us all the time (Nicole and I that is) that they could never be foster parents because they know how much their heart would break when the children left their home. And believe me...it does. It hurts so badly. Foster care and the concept of adoption where possible and appropriate is very close to our hearts. So I would challenge all those who would say the same with this...to those who say they cant foster because it would hurt..."What if Jesus said the same?"

Each one of us...every day...make choices that metaphorically and symbolically could be imagined as us choosing to walk away from his embrace. And...every day, with every choice, he always chooses to take us into his arms once again, because he understands that we NEED his love. Even if, because of our choices, it is sporadic, inconsistent, and brief.

As I consider a second child leaving our home...this is how I process it. We are called to love. As foster parents, we are called to love kids, knowing all the while that they may be taken from our arms at the drop of a hat. But the more i think of it, the more I am repeatedly convinced that this great sense of loss is one more way in which we know beyond knowing that the calling, and living this narrative is worthwhile. the pain of loss shows us we are doing something right, something good, and something that will bear much fruit for the Kingdom.

For me, a person who has always looked at life through the lens and perception that life is a living narrative, I am certain of one thing from my own experiences. In my opinion, living the Christian life will most certainly be painful at times. But in those moments we have to opportunity, if we really choose to see, to experience a love so deep and a peace so wide that our hearts could contain it all.

In other words, for, I believe that Jesus called us to be disciples. And part of being a disciple is choosing to love those around us knowing full well that we will be hurt and wounded and pained. There are thousands of children who need loving homes, even if only for a short while. And, in my opinion, it is not some cheesy bit of religiosity to say that a loving foster home may well be the only loving home they ever see or experience.

I used to disregard these thoughts under the assumption that some people are called and some aren't. But I lost my ability to ignore a certain passage of scripture some years ago, after meeting one of the most influential people in my life. In the book of James the brother of Jesus tells us what true religion really is. He declares that it is to "look after orphans and widows in their distress." What are foster children if not orphans? Even temporarily.

Sure, God is faithful, and most certainly has his hands on his children, especially the little ones. He will be faithful to provide them with those shining examples of love and goodness and hope throughout their lives. But please, don't assume you aren't one of them just because loving them would cost you something. After all, loving me cost Jesus everything.

Love is costly. Be an example; spend yourself wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment